Nowadays, photographers use black and white photography to convey emotion by playing with tones, contrasts, and shadows, but it wasn’t always an option to choose. Color photography brings photographs to life and reveals every little vivid detail that creates a compelling image. Photographers from the past could only convey the world they were living in in black and grey. Have you ever wondered what these photographers saw that very moment? I have.

Digital artists spend hours trying to recreate old black and white photographs in realistic colors with impressive results—just check the incredible work of colorists Marina AmaralAndrea Erali, or Olga Shirinina previously featured on Bored Panda. It’s intricate and time-consuming work that requires not only great editing skills, but a lot of knowledge and research of historical context to color the image as accurately as possible.

I wondered if, with the fast advancement of artificial intelligence and machine learning, this scrupulous job can be done by technology as well as by humans. Well, only time can tell, but it seems like the future is near. I have found this image colorization API called DeepAI that allows you to colorize black and white photos and videos in a few seconds.

I tested the program with these iconic B&W images of celebrities from the golden age of Hollywood. The result is far from perfect and in most cases needs to be at least touched up in Photoshop or other programs, but I was surprised by how much a deep learning model can achieve!

More info: deepai.org#1

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

doctormacro Report65POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

She looks so happy! Not enough people actually appreciate her acting skills and her boss-lady’ness. (I know that isn’t a word)18ReplyView More Replies…View more comments

I love all arts and entertainment. I have been drawing pencil portraits since I was a child, and later, I discovered digital art and started participating in several Photoshop contests. But I can’t wait to see what technology can offer—that’s why I explore what’s new in the industry and try it myself. I have recently played with AI to see what the kids of famous ex-couples would have looked like.

I also regularly post articles on Bored Panda about the most amazing artists I come across, both world-class and aspiring, as well as animal stories. Putting their art in the spotlight makes me proud and inspired. Check out some of the recent posts I made herehere, and here.#2

Ingrid Bergman

Ingrid Bergman

doctormacro Report61POST

Justin G4 days ago(edited)

That globe doesn’t even have the countries on it … it just says AFRICA8ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#3

Katharine Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

doctormacro Report61POST

Mustn’t eat the mango 4 days ago

First woman wear pants when it was illegal, so proud of her9ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#4

Lucille Ball

Lucille Ball

doctormacro Report59POST

Danni4 days ago

she’s so beautiful but what’s going on with her feet? is that just a glitch in the photo or are they that damaged from walking in high heels? what these wonderful talented women had to suffer.21ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#5

Audrey Hepburn

Happy Days4 days ago

Her hair looks so pretty *0*10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#8

Sophia Loren

Sophia Loren

doctormacro Report49POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

Her hairstyle is gorgeous, and I’m in love with the color.8ReplyView more comments#9

Elvis Presley

Elvis Presley

doctormacro Report48POST

Justin G4 days ago

He so funké7ReplyView more comments#10

Judy Garland

Judy Garland

doctormacro Report46POST

Sofia Cohn4 days ago

What a pretty colored dress! It’s a shame you couldn’t see the color in the first.9ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#11

Charlie Chaplin And Virginia Cherrill

Charlie Chaplin And Virginia Cherrill

doctormacro Report46POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

They look so cute 🙂10ReplyView more comments#12

Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple

doctormacro Report45POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

She looks adorable!15ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#13

Jayne Mansfield

Jayne Mansfield

doctormacro Report44POST

GlassHalfWay3 days ago

Beautiful, talented woman with a beautiful and talented daughter.3ReplyView more comments#14

Judy Garland And Gene Kelly

Judy Garland And Gene Kelly

doctormacro Report43POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

Were they a thing?5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#15

Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra

doctormacro Report42POST

Awkward Manatee4 days ago

wow i love seeing the color5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#16

James Dean

James Dean

doctormacro Report41POST

HappyPig17234 days ago

Giving me country vibes. (If he was a country person don’t judge me I’m only 12)10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#17

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly

doctormacro Report40POST

Robert Thornburrow4 days ago

…picture of a beauty queen…7ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#18

Marlon Brando

Marlon Brando

doctormacro Report39POST

BeazleBug3 days ago

Nice to see the real Brando. Everyone seems to only remember fat Brando.11ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#19

Bette Davis

Bette Davis

doctormacro Report39POST

Rachel Agge4 days ago

Lipstick was extremely dark so it would contrast well with the camera.8ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#20

Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth

doctormacro Report39POST

Kathrin Rabenstein3 days ago

Somehow an awkward and uncomfortable posture…6ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#21

Julie Andrews

Julie Andrews

doctormacro Report38POST

Sofia Cohn4 days ago

Gorgeous both ways!10ReplyView more comments#22

Marlene Dietrich

Marlene Dietrich

doctormacro Report36POST

izzy.kitsune4 days ago

both versions are nice, but it feels like the actual mood shifts in the transition i love it9ReplyView more comments#23

Clark Gable

Clark Gable

doctormacro Report35POST

BingeFest14 days ago

This man was a certified badass9ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#24

Shirley Maclaine

Shirley Maclaine

doctormacro Report34POST

Violet Van Valkenburg4 days ago

thats a very ummm… OUTLINED world you have there miss10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#25

Ava Gardner

Ava Gardner

doctormacro Report34POST

CrunChewy McSandybutt3 days ago

missed her foot.2ReplyView more comments#26

Betty Grable

Betty Grable

doctormacro Report33POST

Savannah Mcquillan2 days ago

Clam3ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#27

Fred Astaire

Fred Astaire

doctormacro Report32POST

Demongrrrrl3 days ago

Everyone says he was such an amazing dancer, but Ginger Rogers did everything he did, in heels and backwards.8ReplyView more comments#28

Charlton Heston

Charlton Heston

doctormacro Report31POST

Cathy Jo Baker3 days ago

Classy, classy, classy! He came to Indiana to visit the Lew Wallace Study and Museum (where Wallace wrote Ben-Hur) many years ago! (I had to mention that because the pic seems to be from that movie. Movie is good (the 1959 one) but the novel is wonderful!9ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#29

Greta Garbo And George Brent

Greta Garbo And George Brent

doctormacro Report28POST

Awkward Manatee4 days ago

interesting hat?5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#30

Gary Cooper And Helen Hayes

Gary Cooper And Helen Hayes

doctormacro Report26POST

Becca Gizmo the Squirrel3 days ago

….super duper…! (Puttin on the Ritz, anyone?)4ReplyView More Replies…View more comments

Follow Bored Panda on Google News!149 FollowHidrėlėyAuthor, Pro member

Fascinated by music, movies and sitcoms, I’m passionate about social media and can’t live without the internet, especially for all the cute dog and cat pictures out there. I wish the day had about 40 hours to be able to do everything I want. Read more »

1 thought on “I Colorized 30 Celebrities From The Golden Age Of Hollywood Using AI And It Took A Few Seconds