The 2020 Macro Art Photography Awards Just Announced Its Winners And The Photos Are Breathtaking

It’s truly a shame that our eyes are limited to seeing the world in a very specific human way. Sure, we should be happy that we have opposable thumbs and are capable of an advanced and complex thought process as compared to most other species, but wouldn’t it also be nice to have something like super macro vision so that we could see things super up close?

Well, until our eyes evolve into something like that, we are stuck with relying on technology. Speaking of which, the International Garden Photographer Of The Year competition has announced this year’s winners for the Macro Art photography contest.

The Macro Art contest encapsulates tiny moments of beauty in gardens around the globe. The pictures are lush with color, showcasing the natural world that surrounds us from a magnified perspective. Bugs, flowers, leaves, you name it, it’s there, up close and personal.

This year’s first prize winner is Bruno Militelli from São Paulo, Brazil, who’s the man behind the “Botanic Loop”, a black and white photograph of swirly passion fruit tendril. Second and third place prizes went out to Anne Macintyre for her “Mountains of Tulip Petals” and Zhang Ye Fei for “Shepherd’s Purse Seed” respectively.

Bored Panda has gathered all of the winners, finalists, and those commended in the competition for your viewing pleasure. Check out the photos in the list below, and while you’re down there, why not vote and comment on the ones you liked the most!#1

1st Place, ‘Botanic Loop’ By Bruno Militelli

1st Place, 'Botanic Loop' By Bruno Militelli

“The spiral-shaped filiform structure of the Passiflora (passion fruit) tendrils are an important specialised botanic feature. They are used by climbers like claws to affix themselves for support and provide a stable place to grow and flower.”

Bruno Militelli ReportFinal score: 86pointsPOST

Raine Soo2 weeks ago

This tendril looks like a metal coil.18ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#2

2nd Place, ‘Mountains Of Tulip Petals’ By Anne Macintyre

2nd Place, 'Mountains Of Tulip Petals' By Anne Macintyre

“When the tulip petals all fell off the flower they still looked beautiful; such lovely colours and texture abound – so i laid them out and took a photo of them, they resembled little coloured mountains.”

Anne MacIntyre ReportFinal score: 70pointsPOST

Perfectly Imperfect2 weeks ago

This is so beautiful!!!7ReplyView more comments#3

3rd Place, ‘Shepherd’s Purse Seed’ By Zhang Ye Fei

3rd Place, 'Shepherd's Purse Seed' By Zhang Ye Fei

“Although classified as a common annual weed, I used a macro lens to reveal the delicate beauty of Capsella bursa-pastoris seed pods– known commonly as shepherd’s purse. Being part of the Brassica family its seeds are edible and are consumed across Asia.”

Zhang Ye Fei ReportFinal score: 73pointsPOST

Billy The Kid2 weeks ago

they look like grapes. Im so grapeful for this picture12ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#4

Finalist, ‘Rainbow Lily’ By Ecaterina Leonte

Finalist, 'Rainbow Lily' By Ecaterina Leonte

“I used spectral light coming from a prism to bathe this Lilium (lily) flower in the full colours of the rainbow. Like many photographers I initially struggled to be creative during the COVID-19 lockdown. I convinced myself that home confinement was incompatible with a creative life but as the weeks went by I proved myself wrong. I used a prism and the sunny days of spring to look at flowers under (literally) a different light.”

Ecaterina Leonte ReportFinal score: 83pointsPOST

S Baucom2 weeks ago

Gorgeous.10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#5

Finalist, ‘The Presence’ By Peter Pullan

Finalist, 'The Presence' By Peter Pullan

“I developed this photograph of the bark of a Eucalyptus tree trunk in post-processing to reveal an intriguing and original abstract macro artwork.”

Peter Pullan ReportFinal score: 46pointsPOST

Troux2 weeks ago

Eucalyptus trees are works of art by themselves. Very nice snapshot!10ReplyView more comments#6

Finalist, ‘Flying Wishes’ By Kristina Zvinakeviciute

Finalist, 'Flying Wishes' By Kristina Zvinakeviciute

“I created this original artwork by photographing a dandelion seed head in natural sunlight (handheld) using my macro lens, I then used Adobe Photoshop to achieve the desired artistic look.”

Kristina Zvinakeviciute ReportFinal score: 58pointsPOST

Holly Molly2 weeks ago

Apocalyptic8ReplyView more comments#7

Finalist, ‘Vortex Blossom’ By Bruno Militelli

Finalist, 'Vortex Blossom' By Bruno Militelli

“For this macro photograph of an Abutilon flower, I used a frontal perspective to capture the beauty of the perfect, circular symmetry formed by the pattern of the coiled petals.”

Bruno Militelli ReportFinal score: 77pointsPOST

Robin Syr2 weeks ago

The color is amazing. I love the limey Green in the center6ReplyView more comments#8

Highly Commended, ‘Common Blues On Apple Mint’ By Tony North

Highly Commended, 'Common Blues On Apple Mint' By Tony North

“I photographed these two Polyommatus icarus (common blue) butterflies at rest on this Mentha (apple mint) flower head in Derbyshire’s first dedicated butterfly nature reserve.”

Tony North ReportFinal score: 98pointsPOST

Raine Soo2 weeks ago

This is gorgeous. The butterflies’ wings look like gossamer.12ReplyView more comments#9

Highly Commended, ‘Peep Through The Window’ By Minghui Yuan

Highly Commended, 'Peep Through The Window' By Minghui Yuan

“I found this South China tree toad (Annam tree frog) at rest on the foliage of plants in the forest. I watched from underneath through the holes in the leaves, and I focused on the head of the amphibian, which was gazing into the surrounding environment. It’s like nature provided a window for me in this exact moment, so I could see into the frog’s world.”

Minghui Yuan ReportFinal score: 96pointsPOST

Holly Molly2 weeks ago

like a cat on a glass table5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#10

Highly Commended, ‘On The Look Out’ By Christine Blanchin Dos Santos

Highly Commended, 'On The Look Out' By Christine Blanchin Dos Santos

“A brown praying mantis in my garden – whose improbable alien look I emphasised by matching its slender curves with the curves of the plant.”

Christine Blanchin dos Santos ReportFinal score: 70pointsPOST

catslave62 weeks ago

Amazing mantis face.3ReplyView more comments#11

Highly Commended, ‘Silver-Studded Blues On Heather’ By Qasim Syed

Highly Commended, 'Silver-Studded Blues On Heather' By Qasim Syed

“I photographed female and male Plebejus argus (silver-studded blue) butterflies at rest on heather flowers. They are one of my favourite butterfly species due to the amazing and intricate wing patterns with the individual colours to complement each sex. I used focus stacking to blur out the heavy background and bring out the detail of the subjects.”

Qasim Syed ReportFinal score: 60pointsPOST

Raine Soo2 weeks ago

Social distancing, silver-studded blue butterfly style.10ReplyView more comments#12

Highly Commended, ‘Jewels’ By Wei Fu

Highly Commended, 'Jewels' By Wei Fu

“I spotted this tiny scene and used my macro lens to photograph this jewel bug (metallic shield bug) exploring an open seed pod.”

Wei Fu ReportFinal score: 82pointsPOST

Robin Syr2 weeks ago

The color and the contrast is insane! it’s hard to believe that it’s real except that mother nature does this all the time10ReplyView more comments#13

Highly Commended, ‘The Hunter’ By Rob Blanken

Highly Commended, 'The Hunter' By Rob Blanken

“I used my long-barrelled macro lens to capture this spider on its web, waiting; as the patient hunter for any vibration – to inform it that its prey had arrived.”

Rob Blanken ReportFinal score: 54pointsPOST

Raine Soo2 weeks ago

I did not expect a spider web to be so reflective. Look at all those bands of colour. I think the spider is thinking: “Yeah, fascinating. Now, go away. You’re scaring all the flies.”16ReplyView more comments#14

Highly Commended, ‘Posing’ By Barbora Polivkova

Highly Commended, 'Posing' By Barbora Polivkova

“I spotted this tiny glass frog on a flower in the rainforest, which looked like it was posing; I liked the contrast of colours – making the frog more visible and showing its size in scale.”

Barbora Polivkova ReportFinal score: 81pointsPOST

Sharon Hyatt2 weeks ago

13. Another little jewel……. unaware of how photogenic he is !8ReplyView more comments#15

Highly Commended, ‘Leaf Structure’ By Dinah Jayes

Highly Commended, 'Leaf Structure' By Dinah Jayes

“I photographed this leaf structure handheld and naturally backlit by the sun; the conditions at Hampton Court that day were very hot.”

Dinah Jayes ReportFinal score: 59pointsPOST

catslave62 weeks ago

This is lovely. A very interesting angle.3Reply#16

Highly Commended, ‘Enigma Rubra’ By Peter Pullan

Highly Commended, 'Enigma Rubra' By Peter Pullan

“This photograph of a knot in the bark of a Eucalyptus tree has been developed to reveal an abstract artwork.”

Peter Pullan ReportFinal score: 43pointsPOST

catslave62 weeks ago

We see so very little of the world all around us…3ReplyView more comments#17

Highly Commended, ‘Butterfly Wing V’ By Petar Sabol

Highly Commended, 'Butterfly Wing V' By Petar Sabol

“I found a sleeping butterfly in the early morning and took the chance to capture some extreme macro shots of its wings. Top achieve this, I used an ultra macro lens at around 5:1 magnification. The result is a very detailed and intriguing image, rich in colour, shapes and textures of tiny scales that are covering the wings. I am always amazed by nature, especially when such beautiful details can be explored through macro photography.”

Petar Sabol ReportFinal score: 59pointsPOST

Raine Soo2 weeks ago

This texture reminds me of needlpoint art.16ReplyView more comments#18

Highly Commended, ‘Camassia After The Rain’ By Marie Phelan

Highly Commended, 'Camassia After The Rain' By Marie Phelan

“To create this artistic photograph, I first used a normal glass-fronted photo frame and placed it on a glass-topped table. Into this I splashed some water and oil, and touches of watercolour paint and under the table I put one of my hand painted backgrounds. I then positioned a glass bowl with a blue rim on top of the background; I did this to offer a shape to echo the curve of the flower, then I carefully placed the rain-drenched Camassia onto the photo frame ‘dish’.”

Marie Phelan ReportFinal score: 49pointsPOST

Aunt Messy2 weeks ago

So it’s not a nature photo at all.3ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#19

Highly Commended, ‘You Can Leave Your Hat On’ By Ingeborg Hartgerink-Grandia

Highly Commended, 'You Can Leave Your Hat On' By Ingeborg Hartgerink-Grandia

“I received a bouquet with all sorts of Allium flowers in it, including two leek flower buds. One of these flower buds burst open leaving its ‘hat’ on and I just had to capture it like that. The bouquet was in front of our chimney, the slightly stained-looking background is the marble stone of the chimney. I lightened the background and gave the image a slightly brighter vignette to keep the attention on the flower bud; I wanted to achieve a botanical feel to the image.”

Ingeborg Hartgerink-Grandia ReportFinal score: 50pointsPOST

Robin Syr2 weeks ago

Beautiful. A lot of work shows up in this.4ReplyView more comments#20

Highly Commended, ‘Wild Carrot Flowers In The Late Afternoon’ By Rachele Z. Cecchini

Highly Commended, 'Wild Carrot Flowers In The Late Afternoon' By Rachele Z. Cecchini

“During a sunny afternoon in Salzburg, I photographed these wild carrot flowers in my garden; they grew very high this year, more than 2 metres tall. I managed to get some in both the foreground and background and discovered that the sun had created a beautiful bokeh as it backlit the flower heads.”

Rachele Z. Cecchini ReportFinal score: 50pointsPOST

Sharon Hyatt2 weeks ago

Love the Effect !5Reply

Follow Bored Panda on Google News!165 Laima StasiulionytėAuthor, BoredPanda staff

Laima is a photo editor in Bored Panda. After photography studies she spent most of the years working as a freelance photographer and photo editor .
During her free time she loves to listen to the music, read, watch movies and spend time in nature and with people (and her trio of cats) that she loves. Read more »