Somehow I’ve ended up making dioramas—miniature worlds in boxes—for a living. Over the last 15 years, I have made (and sold) several thousand. The scale is a classic model railway—1:87, so figures are less than an inch high.

In addition to the paid work, every year, I make a “labor-of-love” collection. If I get to show them in an exhibition, it’s a bonus, but I’m mainly making them for myself.

“Cinerama,” which I ended up exhibiting in Telluride during the 2019 Telluride Film Festival, is a collection of over 25 dioramas of films I love.

Some highlights in the making of Cinerama: Brad Pitt and Ed Norton getting bloody in Fight Club; kitting out the kids running away in the Moonrise Kingdom; the gravity-defying bamboo-jungle sword fight in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Taika Waititi as Hitler leaping through a Bavarian forest in Jojo Rabbit; painting the whites of Daniel Kaluuya’s eyes in Get Out; and gluing Steve Buscemi’s 3 mm leg into a miniature wood chipper for Fargo.

More info: glasscathedrals.com | Instagram#1

The Truman Show, Dir. Peter Weir (1998)

The Truman Show, Dir. Peter Weir (1998)

Starring in miniature: Jim Carrey.

Report50pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Liz Karsa2 days ago

I really love this4ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#2

Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, Dir. Chris Columbus (2001)

Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, Dir. Chris Columbus (2001)

Starring in miniature: Daniel Radcliffe and Hedwig.

Report43pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Dominic Ding4 days ago

whoa that looks beautiful I wish I could mold beautiful artwork out of clay(and other materials)7ReplyView more comments#3

Fargo, Dir. The Coen Brothers (1996)

Fargo, Dir. The Coen Brothers (1996)

Starring in miniature Peter Stormare and Steve Buschemi’s foot.

Report36pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Ms.M.4 days ago

One of my all time favorite movies! Awesome!6ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#4

Bohemian Rhapsody, Dir. Bryan Singer (2018)

Bohemian Rhapsody, Dir. Bryan Singer (2018)

Starring in miniature: Rami Malek.

Report35pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

AMANDA SERRANO-MORALES3 days ago

that movie is good3ReplyView more commentshttps://69d9c401907fde2c026ec2edb4b5d564.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html#5

Out Of Africa, Dir. Sydney Pollack (1985)

Out Of Africa, Dir. Sydney Pollack (1985)

Starring in miniature Meryl Streep and Robert Redford.

Report34pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

ArhomR2 days ago

Amazing movie and diorama.1ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#6

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Dir. Ang Lee (2003)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Dir. Ang Lee (2003)

Starring in miniature: Yun-Fat Chow and Ziyi Zhang.

Report33pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

LC Greenwood1 day ago

This scene in the bamboo forest is EPIC AF. Well done!1ReplyView more comments#7

Fight Club, Dir. David Fincher (1999)

Fight Club, Dir. David Fincher (1999)

Starring in miniature: Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

Report32pointsLisa SwerlingPOST#8

To Kill A Mockingbird, Dir. Robert Mulligan (1962)

To Kill A Mockingbird, Dir. Robert Mulligan (1962)

Starring in miniature Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, Phillip Alford and Brock Peters.

Report31pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Kyana Winter4 days ago

I have read the book, but I have never watched the movie. I suppose I should add it to my list!7ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#9

Life Of Pi, Dir. Ang Lee (2012)

Life Of Pi, Dir. Ang Lee (2012)

Starring in miniature Suraj Sharma.

Report28pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

ArhomR2 days ago

Another brilliant movie. Love the diorama.1ReplyView more comments#10

Vertigo, Dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1958)

Vertigo, Dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1958)

Report27pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

ArhomR2 days ago

Jimmie Stewart and Kim Novak(?)2ReplyView more comments#11

2001: A Space Odyssey, Dir. Stanley Kubrick (1968)

2001: A Space Odyssey, Dir. Stanley Kubrick (1968)

Starring in miniature Keir Dullea.

Report24pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Andrew Gibb4 days ago

Dave: Open the pod bay door HAL. HAL: Sorry Dave….I can’t do that11Reply#12

Jojo Rabbit, Dir. Taika Waititi (2019)

Jojo Rabbit, Dir. Taika Waititi (2019)

Starring in miniature: Taika Waititi and Roman Griffin Davis.

Report22pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Beatriz Miranda4 days ago

I really like this movie!6ReplyView more comments#13

Man On A Wire, Dir. James Marsh (2008)

Man On A Wire, Dir. James Marsh (2008)

Starring in miniature Philippe Petit.

Report22pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Billy The Kid11 hours ago

if this is the film im thinking off. It is brilliant. a man stuck on a wire because the police are waiting for him on the both buildings connecting the wire. He even lays down to rest.0Reply#14

Amelie, Dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2002)

Amelie, Dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2002)

Starring in miniature Audrey Tautou.

Report22pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

manon M4 days ago

Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain10Reply#15

Blade Runner, Dir. Ridley Scott (1982)

Blade Runner, Dir. Ridley Scott (1982)

Starring in miniature: Rutger Hauer.

Report18pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Nicklas Linder3 days ago

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”7ReplyView More Replies…View more commentshttps://69d9c401907fde2c026ec2edb4b5d564.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html#16

Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, Dir. Céline Sciamma (2019)

Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, Dir. Céline Sciamma (2019)

Starring in miniature: Noémie Merlant, Adèle Haenel.

Report17pointsLisa SwerlingPOST#17

Captain Fantastic, Dir. Matt Ross (2016)

Captain Fantastic, Dir. Matt Ross (2016)

Starring in miniature: Viggo Mortensen, George MacKay, Samantha Isler, Annalise Basso, Nicholas Hamilton, Shree Crooks, Charlie Shotwell.

Report17pointsLisa SwerlingPOST#18

Moonrise Kingdom, Dir. Wes Anderson (2012)

Moonrise Kingdom, Dir. Wes Anderson (2012)

Starring in miniature Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward.

Report17pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Andrew Gibb4 days ago

This has prompted me to read reviews of the film and watch the trailer on YouTube6ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#19

Free Solo, Dir. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin (2018)

Free Solo, Dir. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin (2018)

Starring in miniature Alex Honnold.

Report16pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

ruthenium the ruther4 days ago

YES! A very good documentary.4ReplyView More Replies…#20

The English Patient, Dir. Anthony Minghella (1996)

The English Patient, Dir. Anthony Minghella (1996)

Starring in miniature Ralph Fiennes and Kirsten Scott Thomas.

Report15pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Monty Is Fiennes1 day ago

My fave actor….1ReplyView more comments#21

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Dir. George Roy Hill (1969)

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Dir. George Roy Hill (1969)

Starring in miniature Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

Report15pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Billy The Kid10 hours ago

i love westerns. My favorite has to be young guns. sad i know but i can recite every sentence in that film.0ReplyView more comments#22

Marianne And Leonard: Words Of Love, Dir. Nick Broomfield (2019)

Marianne And Leonard: Words Of Love, Dir. Nick Broomfield (2019)

Starring in miniature Marianne Ihlen and Leonard Cohen.

Report14pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Monty Is Fiennes1 day ago

We miss you Mr. Cohen….2Reply#23

Goldfinger, Dir. Guy Hamilton (1964)

Goldfinger, Dir. Guy Hamilton (1964)

Starring in miniature Sean Connery and Shirley Eaton.

Report14pointsLisa SwerlingPOST#24

Get Out, Dir. Jordan Peele (2017)

Get Out, Dir. Jordan Peele (2017)

Starring in miniature: Daniel Kaluuya.

Report12pointsLisa SwerlingPOST

Liz Karsa2 days ago

Love it!0Reply#25

All About My Mother, Dir. Pedro Almodovar (1999)

All About My Mother, Dir. Pedro Almodovar (1999)

Starring in miniature Cecilia Roth.

Report12pointsLisa SwerlingPOSThttps://69d9c401907fde2c026ec2edb4b5d564.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html

Follow Bored Panda on Google News!Share on Facebook81 FollowLisa SwerlingAuthor, Community member

This lazy panda forgot to write something about itself. Read more »

1 thought on “I’ve Been Making Dioramas For 15 Years, Here Are My 25 Favorite Movies In Miniature