I Create Little Stories With Cardboard Cutouts At Sunset (50 New Pics)

As a writer and a filmmaker, I like to get away from the computer each day and make something with my hands. So I get a big piece of cardboard, draw something, cut it out fast with a knife and scissors, then go pose with it at sunset. I call them Sunset Selfies. Each one comes with a caption that makes them more like single-panel cartoons, and I hope you like them. See you at sunset!

For more of my work, check out my previous post with pandemic humor here and some of my older artwork herehere, and here

More info: Instagram | Facebook#1

The Glide

The Glide

Some moments are beyond words.

Report27pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR50 minutes ago

Smooth.0ReplyView more comments#2

The Hike

The Hike

“Look at us,” I said. “We’re lost in the woods. It’s almost dark. Whose idea was it to take this stupid hike anyway?”

Report24pointsJohn MarshallPOST

Why?8 hours ago

When you’re about to give someone a shock of static electricity.1ReplyView more comments#3

The Iron Giant

The Iron Giant

When we really need one, there’s nothing better than a strong friend to lean on. Someone who’ll just stand there and listen. Like a giant robot.

Report23pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR48 minutes ago

No argument here.0Reply#4

The Miscalculation

The Miscalculation

Shadow thought she could jump across the canyon. I didn’t think she could make it. Then she tried. Unfortunately, I was right.

Report22pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR49 minutes ago

Icarus and the moon!0Replyhttps://cb50ff660939ad80d38ebc688c436e5e.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html#5

The Realization

The Realization

I’d never really given it much thought… but tonight, as my brothers chirped on and on about their favorite kind of worm and my sisters pecked mites out of their feathers, the idea occurred to me that perhaps I’d been adopted.

Report21pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR46 minutes ago

Alfred Hitchcock’s first movie: The Birdman.0ReplyView more comments#6

The Cannonball

The Cannonball

You know that expression: Look before you leap? Yeah, maybe a quick peek isn’t a bad idea.

Report19pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR45 minutes ago

Peter! Flap your arms and fly!!0Reply#7

The Tour

The Tour

When Impala Safari promises “Up Close Nature Tours,” they are not kidding.

Report19pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR44 minutes ago

No bins required.0Reply#8

The Hunting Party

The Hunting Party

When I was asked to go duck hunting, this is not at all what I expected.

Report18pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR43 minutes ago

Donald, Daffy and Dodo (sadly now extinct).0Reply#9

The Helpful Local

The Helpful Local

I almost never ask for directions. But when I finally admitted I was lost to a local down on the beach, he actually offered to give me a ride.

Report18pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR42 minutes ago

Jaws!0Reply#10

The Incredible Hulk

The Incredible Hulk

“There’s more racism over there,” I said. “Hulk smash!” The Hulk replied.

Report15pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR41 minutes ago

Our hero!0Reply#11

The Ride

The Ride

“Are you ready to switch yet? I think I’ve had just about enough of the milk crate.”

Report13pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR41 minutes ago

Sitting pretty in the sky, the milk crate, ET and I.0Reply#12

The Date

The Date

I offered to drive to the restaurant, but Supergirl said she knew a shortcut.

Report13pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR39 minutes ago

Women always know the way. They use Google Maps.0Reply#13

The Honeymoon

The Honeymoon

After the wedding, I had no idea how I was going to satisfy Queen Kong, but sometimes… you just need to dive right in and see what happens.

Report13pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR39 minutes ago(edited)

Seek and ye shall find.0ReplyView more comments#14

The Abduction

The Abduction

Of all the days to take my cow for a ride, I had to choose this one.

Report12pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR38 minutes ago

Up, up and away we go!!0Reply#15

The Law

The Law

After the strict leash law went into effect, things got a little weird between Goofy and me.

Report12pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR37 minutes ago

I can understand why.0Replyhttps://cb50ff660939ad80d38ebc688c436e5e.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html#16

The Baby

The Baby

“Okay, little guy. You can do it. Just one word and you get the treat. Can you say: John? Jaaawwwn.”

Report11pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR36 minutes ago

Lizard says: nawww!0ReplyView more comments#17

The Rescue

The Rescue

I didn’t ask how she got the plastic six-pack holder stuck around her neck. I was just happy to help.

Report11pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR35 minutes ago(edited)

Aww, aw, aww. Aww, aww awwww gee thanks!0Reply#18

The Disappointment

The Disappointment

“Are you the great and powerful Genie?” “No. Sorry, love. I’m the cleaning lady. Just tidying up between renters.”

Report11pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR33 minutes ago

That’s Genny the genie. She’s a clean up artist.0Reply#19

Hey! Who took a bite of my apple?” I asked the three Presidents.“I can not tell a lie,” George said. “I did not do it.” “They don’t call me ‘Honest Abe’ for nothing,” Abraham said. “I didn’t do it either.” Then it was Donald’s turn. He swallowed what was in his mouth and simply said, “Obama!”

Report11pointsJohn MarshallPOST

Jasmina Pavlovic2 hours ago

Best one … the text is great!!! Made my day!🏆0ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#20

The Alien

The Alien

“Do NOT take me to your leader,” the martian said. “Yeah. Good call,” I agreed. “He’s not so big on illegal aliens.”

Report10pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR32 minutes ago

Bawhahahaha!0Reply#21

The Coyote

The Coyote

True friends stay beside us when times get tough.

Report10pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR32 minutes ago

Another ACME fail.0Reply#22

I know voting by mail is a safe way to handle the upcoming election. I’m not worried about that. It’s just getting my ballot into the mailbox that I’m afraid of.

Report10pointsJohn MarshallPOST#23

“Do I have something in my teeth?”

Report10pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR31 minutes ago

Spinach.0Reply#24

“Do you think we’re praying for the same thing?” I asked the mantis. “Probably not,” the mantis replied. “Why? What are you praying for?” I asked. “Fat juicy aphids on the rose bushes,” the mantis admitted. “Yeah, probably not,” I said.

Report10pointsJohn MarshallPOST#25

The Choice

The Choice

Sometimes it’s hard to decide which way to go.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

Eli7 hours ago

two headed horse0Replyhttps://cb50ff660939ad80d38ebc688c436e5e.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html#26

The Hatch

The Hatch

It was such an honor to be in the field as the turtledoves were hatching.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR26 minutes ago(edited)

Searching for the pear tree. Fly north!0Reply#27

The Dive

The Dive

The challenge had been around for a while. Whoever could jump with their horse off the highest platform and land in the office trash can would win the trophy. And Shadow and I wanted that trophy.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR22 minutes ago

Pride goeth before the faalll.0Reply#28

It was one of the most beautiful sunsets I’d ever seen, but the little penguin on my shoulder just kept talking about sardines, sardines, sardines.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR27 minutes ago

Never leave home without them.0Reply#29

“Are you coming for me?” I asked Death. “Is it because of the virus?” “Oh, no,” Death replied. “I just thought I’d trim these bushes.”

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR30 minutes ago(edited)

Stand 6 feet apart.0Reply#30

Everyone told me wearing my mouse costume in front of Mittens was a bad idea, but what’s the worst that can happen?

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST#31

Medical professionals think heat may weaken the virus, so I’m keeping my dragon close.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR10 minutes ago

I need me one of those.0Reply#32

They call it a Mer-tini. Or a Mer-garita. Something like that. And while it’s a fun novelty for summer, I’m not sure exactly how to drink it.

Report9pointsJohn MarshallPOST#33

The Bait

The Bait

So let me see if I have this straight. You’re saying if I just stand here holding this fish, a Field Dolphin will suddenly burst out of the ground and take it right out of my hand? Is that what I’m supposed to believe?

Report8pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR21 minutes ago

Gulp!0ReplyView more comments#34

The Dog House

The Dog House

You know when you imagine someone else’s life is more comfortable than it actually is? Yeah, that’s how I felt up there on that doghouse.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR20 minutes ago

Until the Red Baron needs his wings!0ReplyView more comments#35

Sometimes Instagram can make people’s lives look more exciting than they actually are.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR6 minutes ago

Dragon brand influencer.0Reply#36

She’s a funny girl. She never takes her hat off, and she holds that torch up all the time. But I’ve gotta say, by the light of the fireworks tonight, she was looking pretty beautiful to me.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST#37

Centaurs are majestic creatures. Half horse on the bottom, half man on the top. But Ruatnecs are… less noble, to put it mildly. And they definitely need to wear pants when they’re out of the corral.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR19 minutes ago

Aw, go on. He’s just horsing around.0Reply#38

Has this ever happened to you? You’re getting wrapped up in silk by a giant spider and THEN you remember what your online banking password is. Am I right?

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST#39

The bad news is: In addition to the virus, we now have Killer Bees AND Murder Hornets. The good news is: The Torture Wasps won’t be here for another few weeks.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST#40

While I wait for lockdown to end, I decided to finally chop down the creepy old stump in my backyard. But as I approached it at sunset, I had a feeling it wasn’t going to give up without a fight.

Report7pointsJohn MarshallPOST#41

The Rattle

The Rattle

As soon as I found the source of the loud rattling sound, a weird hissing noise started. What a crazy day.

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR7 minutes ago

Said a snake charmer never.0Reply#42

The Commitment

The Commitment

As a dog walker, even on no-gravity days, I need to strap on my lead boots and do my job.

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR7 minutes ago(edited)

Johnny Poppins0Reply#43

The Mediator

The Mediator

“I think you’re missing the point. It’s not that he wants to frighten you. He just doesn’t want you eating his corn. Does that make sense?”

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST#44

When you really want to impress beautiful Indian dancers, two arms just aren’t enough.

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR1 minute ago

Elegant.0Reply#45

I put an ad in the local paper, looking for fiddlers to play with. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST#46

At a moment when violence and deep hatred is literally burning across our country, I offer this image as a call for peace and a prayer that one day every black boy and girl will be able to grow up in the United States with respect, opportunity and safety.

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR4 minutes ago

Beautiful in every way. Thank you.0ReplyView more comments#47

“Excuse me. I need some coins for the parking meter. Do you have any change?””Be the change you wish to see in the world.”

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR4 minutes ago

Wise words.0Reply#48

“What kind of style do you want?” I asked my giraffe friend. “How ‘bout a double Windsor,” he replied. “You know, I could teach you how to do it,” I offered. “It’s really not that hard.” “Sounds good,” the giraffe said. “As soon as you can tie your own tie with your feet, come show me how.”

Report6pointsJohn MarshallPOST

ArhomR2 minutes ago

Probably isn’t a tie guy.0Reply#49

The Reading Light

The Reading Light

There’s nothing like a warm summer night, reading by the lantern light of a friendly firefly.

Report5pointsJohn MarshallPOST#50

Report5pointsJohn MarshallPOST

Follow Bored Panda on Google News!Share on Facebook34 FollowJohn MarshallAuthor, Community member

John is an Emmy award-winning television producer and writer. His memoir, WIDE OPEN WORLD, was published by Random House and covers the six months he spent with his family, volunteering their way around the world. His “Sunset Selfies” have become an Internet sensation, featured everywhere from Rolling Stone Brazil to The Times of India. You can see his complete collection on Instagram @sunsetselfies