I Quit My Job In Finance And Have Been Photographing Wildlife Ever Since, Here Are My 30 Favorite Pics

One day, while visiting the Natural History Museum, by accident, I wandered into the wrong exhibit hall. To my surprise, I had entered the exhibition for the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year. I was astounded by the winning photographs. I was transported visually to a world I had never witnessed before. I was mesmerized by the beautiful artworks on show—in particular, the winning image, Blue Iceberg by Cherry Alexander.

This wildlife exhibition was an uplifting experience and one I would repeat every year. Little did I know the profound effect it would have on my life in years to come.

After working in the finance industry in the City of London for 15 years, I needed a balance in my life. Wildlife photography became my yang! I quit my job.

And in 2005, Africa became the new chapter in my life. The sheer size and magnitude of this continent were overwhelming. From navigating the forests of Bwindi and climbing the peaks of Kilimanjaro through to meandering along the red dunes of the Kalahari, I started photographing Africa.

It may be a cliché, but it is true—photography has become my life. No matter where I am, my mind’s eye is taking photographs. It has taught me to see the world in a different light, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

We never know what road we may take in life or the catalyst that changes our life forever. For me, it was a serendipitous wrong turn into the exhibit hall of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year, the world’s most prestigious wildlife photography competition, which incidentally I have won an astonishing three times.

More info: peterdelaneyphotography.com | Facebook | Instagram | youtube.com | twitter.com #1

White-Backed Vulture, Kalahari

White-Backed Vulture, Kalahari

Report 156points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

Powerful. 15 replyView More Replies…View more comments #2

Elephant Sunset, Etosha Pan, Namibia

Elephant Sunset, Etosha Pan, Namibia

Report 136points Peter DelaneyPOST

Loki’s Lil Butter Knife 1 week ago

Gorgeous capture – I love the muted pastels of the sunset. 9 replyView more comments #3

Heart Of Darkness

Heart Of Darkness

Report 123points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

Here’s a well-aged cat. Full of experience with the scars to prove it. 16 replyView More Replies…View more comments #4

Bull Elephant, Dust Bathing

Bull Elephant, Dust Bathing

Report 117points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

It looks so stark. 7 replyView More Replies…View more comments https://84a0024c7f104d3cc093b74675537b91.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html #5

Dune On Fire, Namibia

Dune On Fire, Namibia

Report 102points Peter DelaneyPOST

Miss Cris 1 week ago (edited)

Whaaats? I ever knew that was possible! And what a beautiful image on the other hand. Lovely colours.Thank you. 5 replyView More Replies…View more comments #6

Lion Flehmen, Masai Mara, Kenya

Lion Flehmen, Masai Mara, Kenya

Report 100points Peter DelaneyPOST

E B 1 week ago

That is actually a schnurfle (technical term here) – big cats have an olfactory organ at the roof of their mouth, when they do ‘stinky face’ they’re trying to get a better sniff of something. 17 replyView More Replies…View more comments #7

Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point

Report 98points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

What is the difference between earth and sky? 4 replyView More Replies…View more comments #8

Black Rhino Charge

Black Rhino Charge

Report 97points Peter DelaneyPOST

catslave6 1 week ago

You are still taking photos so I must presume you survived this. Totally intimidating, even just in a photo. ;>) This animal’s power comes roaring out of this picture. Makes me want to run simply looking at it! Yikes! Holy cats! Run awaaaaayyyy! 18 replyView More Replies…View more comments #9

Chimpanzee Dreaming, Uganda

Chimpanzee Dreaming, Uganda

Report 95points Peter DelaneyPOST

catslave6 1 week ago

This is an amazing photo. I can’t even imagine how still, quiet and calm you had to be to catch this beautiful being daydreaming. Just…WOW. I am in awe. 15 replyView More Replies…View more comments #10

Giraffe Sunrise

Giraffe Sunrise

Report 95points Peter DelaneyPOST

varwenea 1 week ago

Stunning beyond words 8 replyView More Replies…View more comments #11

Deadvlei, Namibia

Deadvlei, Namibia

Report 93points Peter DelaneyPOST

Ununya Mallyick 1 week ago

Absolutely terrific!! 5 replyView More Replies…View more comments #12

Tower Of Giraffes

Tower Of Giraffes

Report 90points Peter DelaneyPOST

Briar Lee Mitchell, EdD 1 week ago

Beautiful photos Peter! It is such a delight to see someone there shooting these gorgeous animals with a camera and not a gun. 20 replyView More Replies…View more comments #13

Virginia’s Tree, Storm Over Mara, Kenya

Virginia's Tree, Storm Over Mara, Kenya

Report 85points Peter DelaneyPOST

Debi Blackshaw 1 week ago

I’d hang this on my wall 6 replyView More Replies…View more comments #14

Black Rhino Portrait

Black Rhino Portrait

Report 83points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

I love the textures in this photo. 8 replyView More Replies…View more comments #15

Zebra Dance, Addo, South Africa

Zebra Dance, Addo, South Africa

Report 82points Peter DelaneyPOST

Ojberretta Berretta 1 week ago

arent they fightin`? 6 replyView More Replies…View more comments #16

Giraffe Tree

Giraffe Tree

Report 82points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago (edited)

I’d love this on my living-room wall. 4 replyView More Replies…View more comments #17

Wildebees Trek, Kalahari

Wildebees Trek, Kalahari

Report 81points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

In this one, I can almost taste the air. 6 replyView More Replies…View more comments #18

Grey Ghosts Of Etosha, Namibia

Grey Ghosts Of Etosha, Namibia

Report 79points Peter DelaneyPOST

Maureen Peters 5 days ago

Nice ghosts! 3 replyView more comments #19

Leopard In Autumn

Leopard In Autumn

Report 76points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

Love the camouflage on this cat. 8 replyView More Replies…View more comments #20

Deadvlei, Namibia

Deadvlei, Namibia

Report 74points Peter DelaneyPOST

Diane Patrick 1 week ago

Looks like an abstract. 11 replyView More Replies…View more comments #21

Storm Over The Karoo, South Africa

Storm Over The Karoo, South Africa

Report 71points Peter DelaneyPOST

Debi Blackshaw 1 week ago

Gorgeous image 6 replyView more comments #22

Heart Of Darkness

Heart Of Darkness

Report 70points Peter DelaneyPOST

catslave6 1 week ago

Heart of darkness, indeed. True cat. 4 replyView More Replies…View more comments #23

Lion And Cub, Father And Son

Lion And Cub, Father And Son

Report 69points Peter DelaneyPOST

ArhomR 1 week ago

Nice contrast in young versus old. B&W photo reduces the distraction of colour. 6 replyView More Replies…View more comments #24

Cheetah Mum And Baby

Cheetah Mum And Baby

Report 67points Peter DelaneyPOST

catslave6 1 week ago

Teenager. Ya gotta keep an eye on ’em, or who knows what they might get up to. 6 replyView More Replies…View more comments #25

Lappet-Faced Vulture, Botswana

Lappet-Faced Vulture, Botswana

Report 67points Peter DelaneyPOST

GrrlFriday 1 week ago

THIS IS OUTSTANDING!!!! 6 replyView more comments https://84a0024c7f104d3cc093b74675537b91.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html #26

Kalahari Black-Maned Lion

They always look surprised … 4 replyView more comments #30

Kalahari Lion Stare

Kalahari Lion Stare

Report 53points Peter DelaneyPOST

catslave6 1 week ago

No mercy. 5 replyView More Replies…View more comments

Note: this post originally had 38 images. It’s been shortened to the top 30 images based on user votes.

Follow Bored Panda on Google News! Share on Facebook 257 FollowPeter Delaney Author, Community member

A Few Words About Peter

Peter Delaney quit a career in finance to pursue a dream of travelling Africa in a Land Cruiser. And along the way, he found his passion, Wildlife Photography.

From navigating the forests of Bwindi and climbing the peaks of Kilimanjaro, through to meandering along the red dunes of the Kalahari, Delaney started photographing Africa. “Africa became the new chapter in my life, and I have dedicated the last 15 years capturing Wildlife Photos this diverse continent,” Delaney notes.

The Irish native exchanged the Emerald Isle for a more colourful life in George, South Africa, to continue his travels through the magnitude of Africa. “The continent fascinates me like no other… Read more »