42 Honest Advice On Relationships And Life In General By This Balloon Artist

We all have that friend who pollutes our Facebook or Instagram feed. Now the actual toxic waste they spill might differ, but whether it’s cringy boomer comics or their very, very amateur nature photos, even the most mundane posts can become poisonous in huge amounts.

I usually try to distance myself from these people without actually confronting them; I unfollow them. But Michael James Schneider, a writer and artist living in Portland, Oregon, has found a more creative way to deal with them.

When he got fed up with the ridiculous amounts of balloons popping up on his social media feeds, Michael decided to point out how ridiculous they can be by becoming part of the cult.

“I try to make commentary about, or poke fun at, social media. The balloons were a social media trope often used in bridal showers and gender reveals, so they were a natural progression of that idea. I love the contrast of profound, funny, or challenging quotes spelled in silly balloons. And since another common cliche is endless selfies, I tend to put myself in most of the photos. They often make people cringe, but the cringe is the point,” Michael told Bored Panda.

More info: blcksmthdesign.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter#1

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Magazine Report71pointsPOST

Scagsy10 hours ago

Exactly8ReplyView more comments

The artist usually gets the phrases from the Internet. “I source them online, most of the quotes are curated from other, far wiser people, and me and my friend slash assistant, Andrew Jankowski, try to attribute them as accurately as possible.” Michael is also asking people who repost his art to please do their best to credit the people who originally said these phrases too.#2

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Report66pointsPOST

Stille206 hours ago

I had to learn this the hard way… twice. These relationships are hard to walk away from, but when you find someone who doesn’t give you mixed signals, you suddenly realize how crazy you were to settle for anything less.11ReplyView more comments

Words aside, another important part of each photo is its background. “One of my favorite things to do is spot a brightly colored wall when riding my bike in Portland, and make a mental note to visit it later,” Michael explained his location scouting. “I choose colorful walls based on what direction they’re facing (for lighting reasons), how public they are (so that I can set them up subtlety), and how textured the wall is (since very textured walls won’t hold the type of tape I use).”#3

Blcksmth katherine henson Report66pointsPOST

Phunny Philosopher6 hours ago

Thank you. I needed this today. I was just having this discussion with friends yesterday. I always see the good in people, and often that view hurts me deeply. What is wrong with me? It’s like I can’t learn.5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments

After the photoshoot is over, the balloons go back to Michael’s basement, waiting to be used for the next shoot. The artist said these types of air-filled Mylar balloons aren’t great for the environment, so he discourages people from buying them if their intention is to throw them away after use. “I reuse them from shoot to shoot and I have an alphabet in each color. I sometimes choose to use different colors if I’m out of a letter, rather than purchase more, and then I photoshop the colors to match afterwards.”#4

Blcksmth hunter_pauley Report63pointsPOST

Scagsy10 hours ago

I may have been outgrown 🙁7ReplyView More Replies…View more comments

Blcksmth Idris Elba Report56pointsPOST

Sergio Bicerra Descalzi4 hours ago

omg, litterlly the first time I saw the top comment is with negative votes. Such a hard theme to make an opinion.1ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#10

Blcksmth Adam Ellis Report54pointsPOST

Kevin Donegan8 hours ago

Both statements are true. The morbidly obese pathological lying vindictive narcissistic imbecile with the emotional maturity of a toddler (AKA tRump) is simply a horrible, horrible person.11ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#11

Blcksmth Tiny Dreams Puppet Slam Report53pointsPOST

Hope Floats10 hours ago

“Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your consent.” A famous quote by Eleanor Roosevelt and one that is so true…12ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#12

Blcksmth Report52pointsPOST

Lil Bare9 hours ago

The (male) ego often tries to protect itself and thus would rather leave the other feeling low and shitty instead of admit that it did sth wrong. May the ppl beware of how ridiculous the ego makes us4ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#13

Blcksmth Glennon Doyle Report51pointsPOST

Fact Perils7 hours ago

And in that way you are still beating it4ReplyView more comments#14

Blcksmth arahthequill Report49pointsPOST

Lil Bare10 hours ago

Very true. In fact, relationships that result out of an extreme shared experience are said to be very fragile8ReplyView more comments#15

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Report47pointsPOST

Willow Anderson3 hours ago

I was joking Hans, I understand what you meant.3ReplyView more comments#16

Blcksmth Glennon Doyle Report46pointsPOST

Stille206 hours ago

Yea, it depends on the context. Expecting someone to accept you from your gambling addiction or negative attitude is different then accepting that you have a health issue or went through some trauma.6ReplyView more comments#17

Blcksmth James Baldwin/ Son of Baldwin Report45pointsPOST

Phunny Philosopher6 hours ago

Wonderfully put.2ReplyView more comments#18

Blcksmth Report45pointsPOST

Kevin Donegan8 hours ago

Interesting … His #32 “Donald Trump is a ra_ist.” has gone viral. I’ve seen it a dozen times floating around the internet.1ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#19

Blcksmth Report45pointsPOST

Hope Floats11 hours ago

I do this ALOT.. But maybe it’s the mind’s way of trying to deal with someone that still, many years on, makes you sad…5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#20

Blcksmth Ian Goff Report44pointsPOST

Isabella R.W.10 hours ago

Hahahaha8ReplyView more comments#21

Blcksmth Rainer Maria Wilke Report43pointsPOST

Cori9 hours ago

As a 36 year old college student, I can attest to this. Also, I love that table!10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#22

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Magazine Report42pointsPOST

Phunny Philosopher6 hours ago

Sometimes you have to break in order to grow.3ReplyView more comments#23

Blcksmth Margaret Sanger Report42pointsPOST

Lil Bare9 hours ago

The cider house rules, people2ReplyView more comments#24

Blcksmth Report41pointsPOST

Lea Springstead5 hours ago

This saying would make a good tattoo.2ReplyView more comments#25

Blcksmth Lauren Morrill Report40pointsPOST

Hope Floats11 hours ago

Unfortunately, you’re always going to get people who care about themselves only. You can only change this about yourself.2ReplyView more comments#26

Blcksmth Irina Dunn Report40pointsPOST

Hans10 hours ago

People need people.10ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#27

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Magazine Report38pointsPOST

Monday8 hours ago

This one is false. You absolutely need to negotiate your way into the heart of someone who desperately wants to let you in but doesn’t know how to.-1ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#28

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Report36pointsPOST#29

Blcksmth Brianna Wiest Report36pointsPOST

Lil Bare9 hours ago

…and there s only one way to find out if its worth it3ReplyView more comments#30

Blcksmth Report36pointsPOST

MomaBear1 hour ago

Leonard Cohen1ReplyView more comments#34

Blcksmth Ann Landers Report35pointsPOST

Jon S.7 hours ago

How?2ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#35

Blcksmth Mantra Wellness Magazine Report33pointsPOST

Tabitha L4 hours ago(edited)

When I was in my 20s, I was so hungry for success that it made me angry when others succeeded. Once I got into my 30s, I felt that rage unclench. I can now be happy and enjoy everyone’s success knowing that it doesn’t limit my own.1ReplyView more comments#36

Blcksmth Ms. MICHL Report31pointsPOST

R L1 hour ago

Love the lady in the pic 🙂0Reply#37

Blcksmth Report31pointsPOST

Scagsy6 hours ago

And so might a big steaming pile of dog s**t. Be cautious people5ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#38

Blcksmth Report25pointsPOST

Titas Burinskas14 hours ago

Yeah, it’s just racism.16ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#39

Blcksmth Report20pointsPOST

Tabitha L5 hours ago

While I am a fan of both, I think it is ok to just be a fan of Drag Race. It is a great show, and is many people’s first exposure to this culture. Let’s call it gateway drag. Could lead to habitual drag consumption.4ReplyView More Replies…View more comments#40

Blcksmth Ayishat Akanbi Report18pointsPOST#41

Blcksmth Mika Kauffman Report12pointsPOST#42

Blcksmth Report11pointsPOST

Monday8 hours ago

This one is just gatekeeping. You can’t be held responsible for the misguided beliefs of other adults.9ReplyView more comments

Follow Bored Panda on Google News!95 Denis TymulisAuthor, BoredPanda staff

Denis is a photo editor at Bored Panda. After getting his bachelor’s degree in Multimedia and Computer Design, he tried to succeed in digital design, advertising, and branding.
Also, Denis really enjoys sports and loves everything related to board sports and water.

1 thought on “42 Honest Advice On Relationships And Life In General By This Balloon Artist