40 Buildings That Got Repurposed For Something Their Architects Probably Didn’t Even Dream Of

It’s not a secret that humans are creative animals. They always find new ways to reuse old stuff, come up with clever solutions to live comfortably in tiny places, or decide to use their unique DIY powers and save the world altogether.

This time we are stepping into the old spaces that look nothing like their previous selves after having had an inventive makeover, from a grocery store which used to be a hockey stadium to a Brooklyn apartment built in an old church. Call it an architectural wonderland because there’s nothing impossible for these incredible minds. We invite all the fellow Pandas to share your ideas for repurposing old spaces in the comments!

Old Clock Tower Transformed Into A Penthouse

Old Clock Tower Transformed Into A Penthouse

boredpanda.com Report

ZombieGirl 1 day agoI would love to live there. The windows are absolutely beautiful

This Former Theatre In Buenos Aires Transformed Into A Bookstore

This Former Theatre In Buenos Aires Transformed Into A Bookstore

pikindaguy Report

MagicalUnicorn 1 day agoi would spend hour there, perfect combination of books and architecture

Hotel I Stayed At Was Formerly A Train Station And Had An Actual Train Inside It, With Rooms Inside Each Car

spongecandybandit Report

CherylTunt 1 day agocrowne plaza hotel indianapolis union station

My Friend’s Living Room In Brooklyn, NY. The Apartment Is Built Inside An Old Church

HyogaCygnus Report

ZombieGirl 1 day agoI would never move out lol

The Building Used For The Swimming Events At The 2008 Summer Olympics In Beijing Was Transformed Into This Dope-Looking Waterpark

Arne Müseler Report

Lisa loves cats 1 day agoThat looks super fun!!!

Architect Turns Old WWII Era Cement Factory Into His Home

Architect Turns Old WWII Era Cement Factory Into His Home

boredpanda.com Report

I’m Foxxy and I know it 😉 1 day agoThe outside give it more of a castle feel than a factory, looks very open inside. I really like an open floor plan and natural lighting.

A 100-Year-Old Church In Spain Converted Into A Skatepark

A 100-Year-Old Church In Spain Converted Into A Skatepark

la_iglesiaskate Report

Sunzilla 1 day agoAt least the building is getting some use.

The Liberty Hotel In Boston Which Was Formerly The Charles St Jail

The Liberty Hotel In Boston Which Was Formerly The Charles St Jail

Jones508 Report

chi-wei shen 1 day agoI would book a night there just to experience how it looks and feels.

Church Repurposed Into Dominicanen Bookstore In Maastricht, Netherlands Is Now In The Top 10 Most Beautiful Bookstores Worldwide

thetatten Report

Waterpark “Tropical Islands” In A Former Airship Hangar In Krausnick, Germany

Waterpark "Tropical Islands" In A Former Airship Hangar In Krausnick, Germany

tropicalislandsresort Report

I’m Foxxy and I know it 😉 1 day agoThat looks like so much fun.

The Walgreens In My Neighborhood Used To Be A Bank And They Used Its Vault As Their Vitamin Section

jhal2 Report

Slinkman 1 day agoDo the workers there wear blue overalls? That would be awesome.

The Tallest Indoor Climbing Wall Is Inside Of A Repurposed Grain Silo

The Tallest Indoor Climbing Wall Is Inside Of A Repurposed Grain Silo

sharingthoughtbubble Report

*Clears throat* 1 day agoIt looks like fun! who is coming with me?

Old Rusty Ship Turned Into Stunning Building With Trees And Plants

Old Rusty Ship Turned Into Stunning Building With Trees And Plants

boredpanda.com Report

MagicalUnicorn 1 day agowow, this is gorgeous, the structure looks really cool

Some Lucky Bastard Gets To Live In This Church

Some Lucky Bastard Gets To Live In This Church

Linc Thelen Report

Radek Suski 1 day agoI do not envy them for their heating bills though

My College Used To Be A Shopping Mall

My College Used To Be A Shopping Mall

Colecaliber Report

Bean59 1 day agook,but what college is it???

My Apartment Building Used To Be A School

My Apartment Building Used To Be A School

RTSantos4894 Report

*Clears throat* 1 day agodo you get to use the lockers?

What Used To Be An Abandoned Church Is Now One Of The Most Powerful Supercomputing Centers In The World

bsc_cns Report

Giovanni 1 day agoDo androids pray an electric god?

This Hotel Used To Be A Brewery

This Hotel Used To Be A Brewery

kimberlymarie3786 Report

Stevie B 1 day agoWhy can’t it be both? I think it would be awesome to stay at the brewery hotel.

Revitalized One Of The Last Remaining Art Nouveau Brewhouses As A Bar, In The Middle Of Fürth Südstadt

justincase96 Report

chi-wei shen 1 day agoIt’s located in southern Germany. It has a very unique ambiance and it’s not only a bar but a first class restaurant.

My House Used To Be A Police Station And My Bathroom Is An Old Jail Cell, The Original Window Is Still In Place

rebuffedchaff8 Report

Lisa loves cats 1 day agoThat is super interesting!

Former Power Station Converted Into An Industrial Cafe And Restaurant With Exposed Brickwork And Abundant Planting In Melbourne, Australia

Design office Report

Phoebe Bean 1 day agoPlants have the magical touch and make look fantastic these places!

My Hotel In Oxford, England Is A Former Prison

My Hotel In Oxford, England Is A Former Prison

davekmv Report

chi-wei shen 1 day agoAt least this part has retained a bit of a prison charm.

Court Room That’s Now A Cafe. Cells Are The Toilets. St. Albans, England

Court Room That’s Now A Cafe. Cells Are The Toilets. St. Albans, England

JohnnyBizzlesBallers Report

Lyop 1 day agoInteresting transformation.

Swimming Pool In Old Church: Netherne, Surrey

Swimming Pool In Old Church: Netherne, Surrey

Guardian Report

ADHORTATOR 1 day agoPerfect for mass christenings…if the church wants his building back 🙂

FBI Former NYC Headquarters Is Now A Target But They Kept This Safe

FBI Former NYC Headquarters Is Now A Target But They Kept This Safe

RutgersUnion Report

ADHORTATOR 1 day agoYes, you better keep it, throwing out would cost a lot—

My House Is A 20,000 Sq Ft 1926 Former Freemason Temple That We Have Been Renovating By Ourselves While Living Inside For The Past 2.5 Years

freemasontomansion Report

Anne 1 day agoWith that much space, you can up do room by room and not be cramped for living space during the remodel!

Ottawa’s Jail Hostel, Each Cell Converted To A Two-Person Hostel Room

Ottawa's Jail Hostel, Each Cell Converted To A Two-Person Hostel Room

HI Ottawa Jail Hostel Report

Iris Engler 1 day agoThere was one in Switzerland but seems to be closed now. Pity I think it’s an interesting idea

This Starbucks Drive-Thru In An Old Car Wash

This Starbucks Drive-Thru In An Old Car Wash

quiet_musings Report

*Clears throat* 1 day agoWhere is that I wanna add it to my bucket list

My Hotel Room Used To Be A Chapel

My Hotel Room Used To Be A Chapel

geekstudio Report

ƒιѕн 1 day agoWould a little fornication feel weird there?

Jail Turned Into Events Space In Melbourne, Australia

Jail Turned Into Events Space In Melbourne, Australia

Showtime Event Group Report

Id row 10 hours agoAmazing what some colored lights can do. Changes the whole atmosphere.

My Apartment Is An Old Police Station And Still Has The Original But Painted Cell Doors

RubMyRing Report

A Jones 1 day agoThat’s really cool. 😀

This Old Pool Converted Into Apartments

This Old Pool Converted Into Apartments

Mei architects Report

Emerald Joanna 1 day agoIf they had some way to leave the pool still usable it might have been even cooler 😎

Church Turned Into A Trampoline Park. The Hague, Netherlands

Church Turned Into A Trampoline Park. The Hague, Netherlands

philipjanssen Report

I’m Foxxy and I know it 😉 1 day ago (edited)Much better use than a church lol. Never too old to trampoline.

This Grocery Store Used To Be A Hockey Stadium

This Grocery Store Used To Be A Hockey Stadium

steeemo Report

ZombieGirl 1 day agoSorry for being morbid, but I really hope the grocery store keeps tabs on the stability of that sign thingy…it would be horrible if it fell

My House Used To Be A Bank, So We Use The Old Safe/Vault As A Basement

My House Used To Be A Bank, So We Use The Old Safe/Vault As A Basement

Pscel Report

bryguy 1 day agoThis would be a cool safe room. Although I suppose it would allow the robbers to lock you in… kinda defeats the purpose. Yeah, not a good safe room.

My Apartment Used To Be A YMCA

My Apartment Used To Be A YMCA

lilbass3 Report

Ruth Mayfly 1 day agoI like that they’ve left the markings on the floors.

Former Chruch, Now Home To The Dutch Brewer, Jopen

Former Chruch, Now Home To The Dutch Brewer, Jopen

jopenkerk Report

My School’s Library Used To Be A Bank

My School’s Library Used To Be A Bank

alisouks Report

Kathy Baylis 18 hours agoThat would make an excellent Quiet Room!

This Thrift Store Used To Be A Bowling Alley

This Thrift Store Used To Be A Bowling Alley

danielsenandrew Report

Becca Gizmo the Squirrel 1 day agoA friend of mine used our bowling alleys floors when the bowling alley remodeled. His hallway is a bowling lane. I think he bought them.

This Satellite Lab Used To Be A McDonald’s

This Satellite Lab Used To Be A McDonald's

jonbruner Report

Note: this post originally had 48 images. It’s been shortened to the top 40 images based on user votes.