I Photographed The Best And Worst Restrooms Around Cleveland (52 Pics)

Somebody once said that to understand society at a given point in time, look at their restrooms.

That somebody was me. I don’t know if it is true because I just made that up, but it can certainly feel like the decor and functionality of restrooms, both public and private, say a lot about us and the times we are living in – even if the restroom itself is stuck in time. Do you prefer them looking sterile and harsh? Cozy and kitschy? Luxurious to a fault? Basic and no-frills? High-tech? Perhaps you prefer them done with decor that makes no sense, executed with reckless abandon for any and all design rules as though a monkey on amphetamines went through a curbside dumpster and thought, “yes, this will be perfect!”

More info: arabellaproffer.bigcartel.com | twitter.com | Instagram

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

jamie1707 2 days agooh dear god! someone slipped me some brown acid!

For five years, I’ve been documenting the restrooms around Cleveland that I happened to find myself in. It started as a joke on Instagram, and just kept going. I can’t quite articulate what the criteria were, but my gut always told me when it was something worth a photo. These are interiors that rarely get documented unless they are designed as “selfie bait”. Sure, some restrooms clearly had a big budget, but it is always interesting to see what can be done with a meager budget. Documenting is important because you never know what will be gone tomorrow.

Night Owl 1 day agoI’d spend too much time in there

Krazy Kanuck 1 day agoSitting high on the throne

In the short number of years since I started this project as a fun hashtag #restroomsofcleveland, several of these restrooms have been redone or have disappeared completely. The gentrification of cities has erased character and replaced it with subway tiles and Edison bulbs; the rustbelt has been slowly following the “AirSpace” aesthetic much to my disappointment.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Hazel Beswick 6 hours agoThis should be above the urinals… ohhhh the judgement!

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Reagan James 23 hours agoMy brain is kind of aching right now.

Bars, theaters, warehouses, grocery stores, private clubs, pinball arcades, museums, schools, churches, furniture stores, and coffee shops are just some of the places you will find in the photo book I compiled – simply titled “The Restrooms of Cleveland.” It is a testament to the fact I hydrate often and have a weak bladder with little regard for location. I wish I had time to tell you my own stories within these facilities; exposed electrical wire, celebrity sightings, girl fights, dance parties, vomit, perfect selfie lighting, and unpaid counseling sessions. There was the time I found myself on my knees under a bride’s dress to fix a mishap, the time I tried desperately to keep the makeshift door closed with one foot while in the dressing room reserved for strippers, and the time a raccoon visited me while minding my own damn business! I’ve seen it all in Cleveland, Ohio, man.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Reagan James 23 hours ago (edited)So say that when you’ve already walked into the bathroom?

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Bean59 1 day agoGLADYS, WHERE DID YOU PUT THE CHAINSAW?

bananapower_2.0 1 day agolook like the kids got ahold of the makers

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Donna Reynolds 1 day agoAnd I thought the last one was creepy.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

LaDonna Hulcy 2 days agoI Love this one!

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Amy Smith 1 day agoThis looks like the ladies in the old Montague Arms in New Cross

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

NAOMI CORBALEY 1 day ago😑😕 da- faq?

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

EllieGirl 12 hours agowhat is he or she so afraid of?

Bean59 1 day agoWho threw up in the sink

NAOMI CORBALEY 1 day agothis looks like the mens bathroom

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Bob Beltcher 8 hours agoBut what if someone is blind. The only way they would know is to feel up each bust.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Reagan James 22 hours agoI like it!

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Karin Gibson 1 day agoI love the bentwood chair.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Kathy Smith 1 day agoLooks like an old elevator.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Annemarie Mattheyse 1 day agoI love the black-and-white/teal combination. It’s very calming, somehow.

Molly Porter 1 day agoThis one looks normal

EllieGirl 1 day agothe sign

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Let’s All Just Try And Be Decent 5 hours agoKind of obviously a dressing room for actors to get ready for theatre shows…. not a bathroom. I’m

Night Owl 1 day agoThe (probably plastic) flowers are a nice touch

Molly Porter 1 day agoThe wood is so pretty on this one

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

glowworm2 1 day agoIs this a bathroom for clowns?

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

jamie1707 2 days agoThat is a cool radiator.

Bob Beltcher 7 hours agoMaking drywall damage fun

ZoeIsHahaha 14 hours agoAhh I see what they’re doing they’re trying to sell

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Donna Reynolds 1 day agoGrandma says “Did you wash your hands”?

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Annette Christopherson 12 hours agoDifferent perspectives.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

E Menendez 1 day agoThat’s a lot of soap for one sink.

Bean59 1 day agolooks like rey’s lightsaber

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Bean59 1 day agolet me just throw mysel off a cliff…

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Kathy Smith 1 day agoI love that old sink.

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Annette Christopherson 12 hours agoSeeing double.

What’s In Your Head? 1 day agoAre those old drops of blood? o___O

I Spent Five Years Photographing Bathrooms In Cleveland.

Bean59 1 day agohow does a picture on the wall make the bathroom interesting…?

2 thoughts on “I Photographed The Best And Worst Restrooms Around Cleveland (52 Pics)